Thursday, March 1, 2018

Another way of wearing off-the-shoulder tops

Thanks for all your kind words on my previous post! As cheesy as it sounds, I'm glad someone out there enjoys something I write :) Now maybe someone will like my fiction as well one day. I'm not shutting down the blog or going on hiatus, I just probably won't update weekly or will be more erratic. 

Now back to our regularly scheduled post!

Off-the-shoulder tops were all the rage last summer and I hated them then and still hate them now, despite owning a few. It just doesn't look flattering on me and I hate wearing tops without bras.

Nope

A not-terrible evolution of the off-the-shoulder top is the "cold shoulder" top: tops like the below that you can wear a bra with and are simple to DIY from old clothing:


But if you are like me and have experimented with off-the-shoulder tops and still hate them, may I suggest layering them under an existing tank dress (or tank top) for DIY cold-shoulder look without cutting up something you own. The style of a cold-shoulder top, all the comforts of a tank dress:


off-the-shoulder


Here I layered an American Apparel off-the-shoulder velvet top (which I hardly ever wear) under a Gary Graham dress in what was a work-appropriate outfit. I love finding new ways to wear things I already own.


Do you find new ways of wearing clothing you barely wear, or do you just donate them/turn them into rags?

9 comments:

  1. I quite like THE Gary Graham dress it looks like rather dystonian and futuristic in style. I always loved the cold shoulder look but feel I feel conscious about my chicken wrings. I found one cuts off at my shoulders. Not sure on shoulder gypsy tops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they always make my arms look fat, but they aren't that fat!

      Delete
  2. Cold shoulder top patterns were everywhere in the big 4's catalogs last summer; just so many I actually got sick of looking at them lol. I don't hate them, just a problem of over exposure, though I think I may sew one... eventually lol.

    If there is something in my wardrobe I simply don't wear, I revamp it to something I would. Unless it's a good quality piece someone can appreciate, then I consign it and use the cash to buy more fabric... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah this is definitely a trend that will look very dated in a few seasons... Watching talented people revamp old clothing into wearable items is so satisfying to watch--wish i had the space to sew, but I love watching others

      Delete
  3. I love the cold shoulder tops but not the offshoulders. I feel so naked and weird in them :P

    I often try to change something in a piece of clothing before I toss it away, to see if I could find a love for it again. :)

    Your outfit are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I feel the same way about off-shoulder tops...i always have to wear at least a scarf or something...

      Delete
  4. I LOVE when I can wear something in a new way, it is the best! I have a similar top from American Apparel and I usually only wear it under things as well because I CANNOT go without a bra. That dress is fantastic, I will have to look up Gary Graham.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my most favorite sweater is from this guy: https://themutantstompfriends.blogspot.com/2014/03/vaguely-ethnic-outfit-post.html

      The brand is based in NY and you can get it a lot cheaper here if you know where to shop. That dress I got for $40 (I think it was originally $300+) and that sweater was originally...wait for it... $4000, and I bought it for $90.

      Delete
  5. I like to try to alter my clothes that I don't wear or like but I'm really bad at it so now I have some basically unwearable Frankensteined garments at the back of my closet.

    ReplyDelete